Dangerous Biggest Heavy Duty Hammer Forging Process, Fastest Hydraulic Steel Forging Machine


I amcarbonandotherbits. Don't know if any of you commenters ever
worked in a foundry?. But it took me right back to my working days of noise, heat and most of all the smells. Unique only to foundry's and shipyards, there may have been no Health and Safety but we always met the deadlines with about as many accidents as there are today.

  Steven Danis I worked for a little under 16 years in a fully integrated steel mill operated by Bethlehem Steel. I never worked in a foundry (fortunately), although the plant had an assortment of foundries: ingot mold, iron foundry, steel foundry, structural roll foundry and brass foundry. I worked in the portion of the plant which produced structural steel and then processed it ready to go out to the customers by rail or truck. I also never worked in any of the several forges in the plant although, ironically, the only portion of that plant which still exists is heavy forging operation run now by an independent company.

 What this clip shows is workers getting very close and personal working with blazing hot metal. I recall that the steel blooms when they went through the rollers were usually at around 2500 degrees fahrenheit depending upon the specific grade. I would expect that in a forge also that the temperature is fairly close to that so that the steel doesn't get too cool to work and shape.

  Steven Danis In retrospect, now being out of that industry some 30 years, it had its' ups and downs but the jobs I worked at weren't as hazardous or exhausting as what is being depicted in this video. But in an earlier time, such as for immigrant workmen, conditions were about as bad as they could be. My grandfather who came from Hungary ended up working a number of years in the iron foundry which even in my time had a reputation as a hell hole. That earlier generation or two who labored normally 12 hours a day 7 days a week wore themselves out and died young. As my father (also a steel worker) once remarked, that first generation which came from his village for the most part died before they
 were 50.
  <
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Label Cloud

Healthy (19) Other (100) sport News (21) Travel (22)